After doing some rearranging, I decided to move my blog to my actual website. Consistency is my goal, let’s see if I can achieve it. Yes, I’m keeping my blog title (Help, I Married a Socialist) and eventually I’ll move my URL to redirect here to reflect the change. It’s on my to-do list, among a million other things.
Before I go on, I’m going to show you a picture of me so you know what the person who is writing these words looks like. I will say it’s not a terribly recent picture; it’s before I lost my hair last year (due to malnutrition - don’t worry, we’ll eventually go into that).
So, if you’re just joining me or you want a refresher course, here’s some things about me.
- I’m addicted to The Big Bang Theory. Some people have informed me I’m like Bernadette, apparently because of the fact we’re both tiny blondes. Sadly, that’s where the similarities end – I’m not a rocket scientist and she’s a hell of alot more polite than I ever have a chance to be.
- I’m 4′ 5″ tall. Yes, I’m aware I’m a midget, and I accept the label just fine – just don’t ever call me a dwarf because there’s a HUGE difference. I’ve heard all the height jokes and I’m a damn good sport about it, but I hate it when people stare and the fact I only have one middle finger to flip them off with pisses me off. While we’re on unique physical attributes, I’m missing my right thumb. People either never notice or notice and then stare. I cherish the rare people who don’t give a damn.
- I spent 320 days in the hospital in 2012. Never. Again. We will never speak of 2012 again… Actually, we will. I’ll describe what happened at some point, just not today. Or tomorrow. Let’s just say crap went down and I learned that PTSD due to medical trauma is, in fact, a very real thing and that Ativan is worth it’s weight in gold.
- My husband is 6′ 4″, was born and raised in Denmark and is currently living there while finishing his Master’s. Thanks to my health situation, I wasn’t allowed to go with him and doctors basically said “nursing home/long term care facility or move back in with your mom”. I came back to my mother’s. It pisses me off when people imply (or hell, say directly) that my husband “left me”. No, we made a joint decision that he can get a tuition free education and he should take advantage of it while he can. It sucks, yes, but it’s also practical and we think it’s a wise decision.
- I have VACTERL Association. Google it. I met my husband at a support conference for it 8 years ago. It’s very rare and we have a very tightknit group, thanks to texting, calling and, of course, Facebook. Not only did I meet him there, I met some people that I call my best friends. They rock in more ways than you can ever imagine.Our next meeting is in June, in Boston.
- I’m a lover of all things musical but I can’t sing a note. I blame it on all the intubations I’ve had in my past 26 years, but the truth is I suck as a singer to the point I won’t even sing in the shower. I’m terrible. My musical tastes are pretty eclectic - I love everything from George Jones to Liza Minnelli to Sinatra to Ugly Kid Joe to Montgomery Gentry to Bob Hope to Deep Purple. I’m not strange.
- I grew up in a bookstore, so that pretty much cemented my love of reading. My family owns the place and has all my life and through there I met some fantastic people and found some terrific books. They’re great people and I love being there when I can.
- My blog title doesn’t offend my husband, so it shouldn’t offend you.
Since I just moved to WordPress, I’ll be honest and tell you that I have no idea what in the hell I’m doing. Eventually I’ll be adding a comment through your Facebook profile option, an about me page and a contact link. Until then, the bare bones will make do.
Have a fantastic weekend!